Koen Rutten specialises in company-law disputes, liability proceedings and corporate governance issues. He represents the interests of companies, shareholders, directors and officers, and supervisory directors. Koen also handles acquisition-related disputes and inquiry proceedings, as well as both national and international arbitration proceedings. He also litigates and advises on the Dutch Financial Supervision Act and the liability of financial institutions and supervisory authorities.
Koen has specific experience with class action lawsuits. He has successfully handled multiple cases on behalf of investors and other victims of misconduct.
Koen publishes on a regular basis.
- Grotius Academy, Corporate Litigation specialist programme
- Utrecht University, Law
Examples of Koen’s cases
- Represented a large number of shareholders in the listed company Steinhoff with Deminor in proceedings against Steinhoff and its former directors, officers and supervisory directors.
- Represented the interests of a large group of shareholders in Ageas (formerly Fortis) with Deminor in proceedings before the Amsterdam Court of Appeal. These proceedings resulted in the largest binding settlement ever, EUR 1.3 billion, based on the Dutch Class Actions (Settlement of Large-scale Losses or Damage) Act.
- Represented several directors and officers of Estro in proceedings before the Enterprise Division.
- Represented the interests of a large number of truck purchasers in proceedings against the truck cartel.
- Represented Stichting Belangenbehartiging, a foundation protecting the interests of investors in Van den Berg in proceedings against ABN AMRO regarding the violation of the special duty of care.
- Represented the subordinated deposit holders of DSB Bank in proceedings against the Dutch Central Bank regarding the interpretation of the deposit guarantee scheme and in proceedings against the bankruptcy trustees of DSB Bank.